Wednesday, July 15, 2009

9 people's favorite thing
Maybe everyone has seen this, and it's just me whose behind. That wouldn't be completely unusual for moi. When my kids were very little, an entire mall was built 2 miles from us and I had no idea. I get busy and a little distracted. (on YouTube, it had been viewed from the 9pft post over 26,000 times. If you are among that crowd - this is not the blog you're looking for, move along).

Be 9
Twitter, Blogging - these are relatively new to me. Although I can say that I'm not so backward that I'd never heard of tweeting and blogging. I had. I'd never had time to actually spend lookin' around is all. I recently find myself with a little more time on my hands. Tell ya what, MySpace still scares me. Twitter... I like it. Not sure what the purpose is sometimes, but if I analyzed the purpose of everything I participate in, I'd be a lot richer and... let's leave it at that. And some great connections have happened already via twitter - and I must admit (I notice I use "and" a lot) I'm addicted to tweeting. Self discovery aside, I already know what I need to work on, I can safely establish I'm not what you'd call "hip and trendy."

I'm very current however about my own little widgets, a.k.a. my kids. I know what they like and dislike, their struggles and interests, successes and dreams (which change sometimes daily!) and much of those things are tied to being "with it" for the 9 and 11 year old set. Some trends they can participate in, other things are limited to them. When I started blogging, promised I wouldn't get too specific about anything that would embarrass them, so I'm careful to keep that pact.

I'm also happily aware that among my own species, I'm quite the barrel of monkeys. You know who you are ;) It's the same as being "big in Japan." This status frees me of caring about what most people think, as I realize, most people aren't "my people" - and, harsh reality check, most people don't think about me at all. There is something quite liberating about that. Because after I lost the desire to tan and shave my legs in winter, I'm glad to gather around me the comfy cloak of anonymity.

This video is a little bit of genius. Today, when I was feeling a little boo-hoo-y and wha!me, it reminded me that I am 9 people's favorite thing. Favorite. So much better than a "friend" or a "follower." To extend the premise just a little, I find there are 9 people (some I've counted twice, but, whatever.) who are my fav's in one way or another. Family, friends, former biz friends - now friendsfriends (snaps to my twin, Liz at BioFit, who I miss everyday!), soulmates (these are the people I've just "clicked" with, immediately and whom no matter how much time or space is between us, are connected to me), and finally groups of folks who I count as a body equaling 1 fav thing in a specific genre. As an example, Apple. I love these people. I love that they create computers and gizmos I can understand and :gasp: even use. And though I may not be on Steve Jobs list of his 9 favorites - loving him is enough for me. I [heart] you SJ, you had me at iMac.

My girls are just getting into the net - I monitor everything, and neither are conversing on social media sites other than WebKinz and StarDoll. It's all pretty make-believe yet - but especially for my older daughter, I realize the time is upon us fairly soon regarding her interest in these forums. 9pft - it's a good place to start talking about real friendships vs. multitudes of people. No offense to Ashton Kusher who used the format for good, and certainly increased his own brand awareness and value - nothing wrong with that. Pretty smart if you ask me.

So, here's to my 9's. The 400+ followers and 500+ friends I'm following on Twitter are no match for you guys. But, it's fun to get a glimpse of the world via tweets. And here's to hoping every one of them has their own set of real peeps. Even better, cheers! to the talents behind this video. Because I too, am Rice Krispie Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment